[ExchangeList] Re: Installing Exchange Cluster on EMC SAN

  • From: "Nardini, Steve" <Steve.Nardini@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 14:35:17 -0500

http://www.msexchange.org
-------------------------------------------------------I've been running
Exchange 2003 Active/Active Cluster on an EMC Clariion
CX600 SAN for almost 3 years now - with about zero down time.

There is some documentation on EMC's site about RAID
configuration/sizing/etc - but as we all know, it'll take you 4 years to
follow the calculations.

Yes, guidelines have operating system on the internal hard drives.
Create LUNs on the SAN for Log files (RAID 5) and Data files (RAID 1/0
is best, RAID 5 is what most do.)  On the SAN, depending on
configuration, split it all up as best as possible along with the other
machines connected to the SAN.  "Spread the wealth" is the best way to
put it.

Oh and installing the Exchange Cluster isn't the easiest thing in the
world, but it can be done correctly - even after 3 tries.  If ya run
into troubles, don't be afraid to ask for help.

Steve N.