Fw: Microsoft Security Bulletin MS02-025: Malformed Mail Attribute can Cause Exchange 2000 to Exhaust CPU Resources (Q320436)

  • From: "Mark Fugatt" <mark@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 15:40:35 -0400

> [...]
> by connecting directly to the Exchange server and passing a
> raw, hand-crafted mail message with a specially malformed
> attribute. When the message was received and processed by the
> Store service, the CPU would spike to 100%. The effects of the
> attack would last as long as it took for the Exchange Store
> service to process the message. Neither restarting the service
> nor rebooting the server would remedy the denial of service.
>
> Mitigating Factors:
> ====================
>  - The effect of an attack via this vulnerability would be
>    temporary. Once the server completed processing the
>    message, normal operations would resume. However, it
>    is not possible to halt the processing of the message
>    once begun, even with a reboot.
>
>  - The vulnerability does not provide any capability to
>    compromise data on the server or gain administrative
>    control over it.
>
>  - Mounting a successful attack requires the ability to pass a
>    hand-crafted message to the target system, most likely through
>    a simulated server-based connection. It is not possible to
>    craft a malformed message using an email client such as
>    Outlook or Outlook Express.
>
> Risk Rating:
> ============
>  - Internet systems: Critical
>  - Intranet systems: Critical
>  - Client systems: None
>
> Patch Availability:
> ===================
>  - A patch is available to fix this vulnerability. Please read the
>    Security Bulletin at
>    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms02-025.asp
>    for information on obtaining this patch.
>
> Acknowledgment:
> ===============
>  - Mr. Allendoerfer (allendoerfer@xxxxxxxxxxxx);
>    Mr. Koenig (koenig@xxxxxxxxxxxx);
>    Mr. Kraemer (kraemer@xxxxxxxxxxxx);
>    Mr. Schaal (schaal@xxxxxxxxxxxx);
>    Mr. Tacke (tacke@xxxxxxxxxxxx) of the Computing Center,
>    Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz, Germany
>
> THE INFORMATION PROVIDED IN THE MICROSOFT KNOWLEDGE BASE IS
> PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND. MICROSOFT DISCLAIMS
> ALL
> WARRANTIES, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING THE
> WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
> IN NO EVENT
> SHALL MICROSOFT CORPORATION OR ITS SUPPLIERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY
> DAMAGES
> WHATSOEVER INCLUDING DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL,
> LOSS OF
> BUSINESS PROFITS OR SPECIAL DAMAGES, EVEN IF MICROSOFT CORPORATION OR
> ITS
> SUPPLIERS HAVE BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. SOME
> STATES DO
> NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF LIABILITY FOR CONSEQUENTIAL
> OR
> INCIDENTAL DAMAGES SO THE FOREGOING LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY.

Microsoft Product Security Notification Service.  For more information on
this service, please visit
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/notify.asp.

key at http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/notify.asp.

> To unsubscribe from the Microsoft Security Notification Service, please
visit the Microsoft Profile Center at
http://register.microsoft.com/regsys/pic.asp

> If you do not wish to use Microsoft Passport, you can unsubscribe from the
Microsoft Security Notification Service via email as described below:
> Send an email to unsubscribe to the Service by following these steps:
> a. Send an e-mail to securrem@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx The subject line and the
message body are not used to process the subscription request, and can be
anything you like.
> b. Send the e-mail.
> c. You will receive a response, asking you to verify that you really want
to cancel your subscription. Compose a reply, and put "OK" in the message
body. (Without the quotes). Send the reply.
> d. You will receive an e-mail telling you that your name has been removed
from the subscriber list.

> For security-related information about Microsoft products, please visit
the Microsoft Security Advisor web site at
http://www.microsoft.com/security.