RE: Exchange Server 5

  • From: "Chris Thompson" <cthmpson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 10:05:06 -0800

Thanks Jeff.
        I'm assuming this is based on the fact that the SMTP port is open and
available to anyone outside of the organization using the server? What they
have going on is they're using the Exchange Internet Mail Service for
outgoing mail only (it's handed off to their ISP via SMTP). Incoming mail is
coming in via an application they're using known as POPCon...it basically
grabs all their email they have forwarded to a POP3 email box, and then
hands it off to the Exchange Server internally via SMTP. The SMTP TCP/IP
port is not accessible outside of their LAN since it is blocked by the
router. What I'm thinking is they should be relatively safe with the
exception of someone internally sending spam through the Exchange Server.
It's kind of a hokey way that they have things setup, but it works for them
and they really don't want to change anything. So I'm just doing some
research into what I need to do to secure the site as much as possible
without eating into their budget too terribly much and with as few changes
as possible.
        Appreciate you response.
                                                        Regards,
                                                                Chris