RE: Exchange 5.5 and remote access using IMAP4

  • From: Danny <nocmonkey@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2005 15:42:09 -0500

On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 09:31:41 -0800, Jason Davis <JDavis@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> http://www.MSExchange.org/
>
> Hi Pat,
>
> Using OWA is another option for us, but due to the amount of SPAM we get on
> a daily basis, most people prefer to use an IMAP4 client which can integrate
> with SPAM filtering software.

SPAM filtering should be focused at your gateway (the server your MX
records point to), not by your clients. New project for you: Try to
decrease SPAM and Viruses at or before your Exchange server.

> Plus, with Exchange 5.5 and OWA, there is not a "select all" function if you
> want to
> delete multiple email messages at one time.  In other words, you have to
> individually
> check each email message for deletion (very inconvenient).

If your clients were not processing the SPAM at their mailboxes, I
imagine this would be less of a problem.

> Am I opening up a can of worms by enabling remote access using IMAP4?  Can I
> beef up security on my Exchange 5.5 server?

In short, yes, forwarding any port to your LAN will increase your
susceptibility to attack.

See my last response for pointers.

...D