Exchange 2003 store size mystery

  • From: "A. Michael Salim" <msalim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 14:28:14 -0400 (EDT)

Hi all,

I have a mystery about the size of my mailbox store.  I have an Exchange
2003 Enterprise server with a store size of about 45GB (the .EDB file is
45GB in size).  The mystery is that this is nowhere near what the size
whould be.  The store should be no more than 1-2GB in size.  Everything
else seems to be fine i.e. the server is receiving and sendimg emails
fine, OWA is fine, RPC/HTTP is fine, OMA is fine, performance seems fine,
no complaints from users.

However there is some background to the story:  This time last week the
store was indeed about 54GB in size.  Then it was decided that all users'
mailboxes would be saved to local PST files and cleared and everyone will
start with a "zero size"  mailbox effective Friday (for unrelated and
valid reasons).  So on Friday I did a complete backup, then ran Exmerge in
"Archive" mode so that all mailboxes would be saved to PST files and
cleared from the maikbox store.  The Exmerge seems to have gone normally
as far as I can tell (all 115 mailboxes succeeded etc.) and the individual
mailboxes did indeed get cleared out as expected, and each mailbox got
saved as expected in a PST file with the old data.  But the mailbox store
(.EDB file) size was still 54GB.  When viewed in ESM (Exchange System
Manager 2003) the mailboxe sizes are all tiny an do not add up to even
1GB.

I noticed this discrepency so I ran eseutil etc. on it defrag the store
(after dismounting the store of course).  The defrag ran just fine, no
errors.  I remounted the mailbox store.  Everything is still running
smoothly.  I dismounted and ran "isinteg -fix -test alltests" and that ran
fine too, zero errors/fixes/warnings for all 20 tests first time around.
And everything is still running just fine and dandy after remount.

Except that the store EDB file is 45GB in size (it shrank from 54GB to
45GB but it should have shrunk to maybe 1Gb or 2GB).

Any clues or suggestions?  I do need to get the EDB file size down to the
correct size of 2GB or less.

Best regards
Mike