RE: Antivirus Software to Send Back Infected E-mail

  • From: "Patrick Cote" <Patrick.Cote@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 17:30:37 -0400

It's been my experience with Melissa, Iloveyou viruses and now this SOBIG &
variants that while keeping notification turned on during normal operation is
desired, in a crisis situation it's not.

Think about it, for every virus email sent another email is fired off by the
antivirus software to the administrator, the internal user and possibly the
virus sender depending on your configurations. You are spamming your own
network with more messages than the virus is actually generating. Management
also usually has the perseption of being affected by the virus even though the
antivirus software is acting as it should.

I would suggest disabling the notifications until the storm passes.  Just my 2
cents...

Patrick Cote
Ph: (613)231-2357
InnEight IT Solutions Inc.