550 5.1.1

  • From: "Stelley, Douglas" <dstelley@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2004 09:07:58 -0500

Good morning,

I want to reduce the amount of NDR's I'm sending out and I may have to
change the way I handle mail.

Right now mail comes in via 2 gateways sitting in the DMZ, they are
processed for Spam/viruses using GFI & Mcafee products. It is sent on to
Exchange at this point.
This is where the problem starts. I have Exchange set up for filtering
and if a non-user mail arrives Exchange generates the 550 5.1.1 . This
is great for Exchange, But now the gateway servers are left with
undeliverable mail and quite often can't be "returned to sender".

I would like to have the 550 5.1.1 filtering done on the gateways but
can't quite figure it out. The gateway servers are not members of the
domain, but since I am also the firewall admin I can setup routes in &
out to the domain controllers if needed.
Using the LDAP Lookup tab did no good I believe because they are not
members.

Any ideas?

Doug

(Exchange/ActiveDirectory 2003, gateways are MS Server 2000's)