[ewatch-devel] DFD exercise

  • From: "Jacob A. Catayoc" <jac-100204@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ewatch-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <casetools1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 12:03:28 -0000

Hello classmates! I got this exercise from one of our instructors, to train
ourselves in
creating DFD and ERD diagrams. We can also use this exercise to create Use
Cases for our
CASETOOLS subject.

Hope this helps all of us in our learning. :)

Regards,

-=> JCat! <=-

Group Exercise on DFD and ERD:

EVS Company is a Car Parts Supplier. Their customers buy car parts from

their stores. The store-staff look at the inventory cards to see if the

parts are available. The inventory cards contain the available quantity,

the selling price, the bin location, minimum-stocking requirements, the

recommended ordering quantity and the Supplier of these parts. The staff

then retrieves the parts and prepares the O.R. He then updates the

available quantity on the inventory cards. If the available quantity

have reached the minimum inventory required, he then list it to the Car

Parts Ordering List.

When the ordered parts arrived, the warehouse staff signed the delivery

receipt of the supplier, prepares a material receiving reports and then

updates the inventory cards. The quantity received is added to the

quantity-on-hand. He then places the parts on the respective bins. The

warehouse-staff then send the MRR and the supplier's delivery receipt to

their accounting-staff.

The accounting staff then computes the new re-average-costs *, the new

selling prices* and updates the inventory card. The accounting clerk

does the following on a regular basis:

· Prepares the payment for all their suppliers every month.

· Summarizes all the O.R. to determine the stores total sales on a

monthly and yearly basis

· Weekly prepares the orders based from the Car Parts Ordering List and

send it to the corresponding suppliers

· Conduct an annual physical count during end of the year holidays

The storeowner realized that there are numerous problems encountered in

the current processes. The increase in their day to day transactions

creates backlog in updating the inventory cards. The new selling prices

are not updated on time; orders to suppliers are delayed thus creating

undue stock-outs in the inventory. Thus, the owner approaches you to

help them develop and implement an automated system that will address

these problems.

The storeowner wanted to have a system that will:

· See the Car Parts Order List and produce the Car Parts Order to be

sent to Suppliers

· compute the re-average costs and selling prices every time there is a

supplier's delivery

· knew the daily, weekly, monthly and annual sales and the correspondin

gross profits

· monitor's the supplier's contribution on their business

Notes:

Computation of the re-average cost:

New Re-average cost = (Qty-on-hand* Old Re-average cost + Qty-delivered

*Unit cost) / (Qty-on-hand + Qty-delivered)

New selling prices computation:

New Selling Price = re-average cost * 1.30

Requirements:

1. List and describe the major functions of the system

2. Develop the Context Diagram

3. Develop the 1st level decomposition

4. Develop the Conceptual ERD

--
JACOB A. CATAYOC
B.S. Computer Science and Information Technology

This email message was delivered to you by <http://www.apc.edu.ph> Asia Pacific
College.
Scanning and Virus Filtering is delivered by <http:///www.ravantivirus.com> RAV
Antivirus.
For more information, please visit our website or email the system
administrators at
mailto:sysadmins@xxxxxxxxxxx