[evonetwork] Nauty

  • From: Russell Standish <r.standish@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: evonetwork@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 11:07:08 +1000

Hi guys,
In an effort to resurrect this list, I'd thought I'd post this
interesting snippet:

Th algorithm I described for canonical labelling of graphs at the
network workshop in March actually fails for graphs of order 6 (I only
checked it by hand for graphs of order 3 & 4) :(. I don't know why,
exactly, but the nice thing is that this discovery forced me to do a
Google search, and I came across software called Nauty written by
Brendan McKay (whom you may know at ANU) that actually solves the
problem in a highly efficient way. It can easily handle graphs of order
several 1000 on my laptop.

So I'm now working on a version of my library that calls Nauty to
determine the \omega of my paper. It turns out that Nauty computes
n!/\omega, which it calls the "groupsize". You can enter an arbitrary
graph into Brendan's command line program dreadnaut, and compare.

I'm looking at extending this idea by weighting each graph
representation by a complexity value computed using gzip (as a proxy
for computing the full Kolmogov complexity) to see if this alters the
basic results (that fully (un)connected graphs have maximal complexity
in the set of all graphs of a given order.

Cheers

may safely ignore this attachment.

UNSW SYDNEY 2052                         R.Standish@xxxxxxxxxxx