[evac-announce] East Valley Astronomy Club (EVAC) Monthly Meeting, April 19, 2024 at 7:00PM

  • From: Forrest Sims <forrest@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: evac-announce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2024 18:50:54 -0700

Hello astronomy enthusiasts,
The April 2024 East Valley Astronomy Club Meeting is April 19, 2024 at the new earlier start time of 7:00PM.
Our guest speaker is Dr. Jenna Moore from ASU!
For In-person attendees:The meeting will be held in the usual location at:SouthEast Regional Library775 N. Greenfield RdGilbert, AZ 85234
Map: https://www.google.com/.../data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4
For ZOOM attendeesWe will open the meeting up to zoom attendees at 7:00PM.You are invited to a Zoom webinar.
When: April 19, 2024 at 7:00 PM Arizona
Topic: The EVAC Monthly Meeting
Registration linkRegister in advance for this webinar:

Welcome! You are invited to join a webinar: The EVAC April Monthly Meeting. After registering, you will receive a confirmation email about joining the webinar.asu.zoom.us

Agenda:
President’s Welcome and announcements: Steve BradshawMember talks from Evelio Sevillano - Astro-Imaging and Plasma  James Yoder - Adventures in Chile
Guest speaker:  Dr. Jenna Moore

Title: The Simons Observatory: Next-generation cosmology from the Atacama Desert

Abstract:

In this talk I’ll introduce the Simons Observatory, a new suite of cosmic microwave background (CMB) telescopes situated at 5,200 meters altitude atop Cerro Toco in the Atacama Desert of Chile. I’ll share details about the complex readout instrumentation required to operate the observatory’s >60,000 superconducting detectors as well as tales from my time working at the high-altitude site.

JPEG image