[etni] weak Hebrew-need advice

  • From: Cecile Nadav <hadassah_n@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 00:52:19 -0700 (PDT)

Hello!
I'm looking for my first English teaching job here in
Israel. I made aliyah last summer and finished ulpan
aleph. Needless to say, my Hebrew is basic. I am
trying to figure out which grade level is most
suitable for me to teach. I've received conflicting
opinions, so I would like to hear advice from anyone
on this list. I thought I would be better off teaching
bagrut because I assumed at that level that the class
would be conducted fully in English and Hebrew would
not be an issue. However, I've had people tell me that
if my Hebrew isn't good, high school students here
will "eat me alive." On the other hand I have more
experience teaching elementary school, but am
wondering if weak Hebrew might also be an obstacle at
that level, as far as classroom discipline goes? I
have a friend who is studying to be an English teacher
who says she's observed many yesodi level classrooms
where the teacher spoke only English- she has learned
in her courses that this is the ideal. Most of my
training has centered around dual language instruction
(i came from California where this is a big issue),
not EFL, so I'm not so familiar with the pedagogy
involved. But I do know that there is usually some
discrepancy between the "ideal" and classroom reality.
I think I need to do some classroom observations, but
I wanted to know generally what is expected or
practiced in English classes at different levels.
Anyway, I have more experience and training for the
elementary classroom, but I have the academic
background necessary for bagrut ( and I also tutored
high school students for the SAT). Is Hebrew an issue?
What is the best grade level for a new teacher like me
to start?? Any thoughts, advice, opinions are MOST
welcome!! Please feel free to email me on or offlist
at hadassah_n@xxxxxxxxx
Thanks
Hadassah Nadav

http://promo.yahoo.com/sbc/