[etni] tests

  • From: "Ilana Bar-Hai" <ilbarhay@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2004 21:40:56 +0000

Hello.
Well if one semester is made up of two quarters, then one test per semester
is not enough, but I completely understand the difficulty.  My two eldest,
who finished high school recently, were extremely stressed.  They studied so
many subjects, at a high level, that at times it just was ridiculous.  TV
was not really part of their lives and often the choice was between letting
the basketball team down during a big, important game, or doing not so hot
on history, but concentrating more on Physics which came two days after
history.  Pupils today, at least the "more scholastic" types, have a much
harder time.  I was a great pupil and I never had so many subjects and exams
to deal with.  The whole system is incorrect, and reducing the number of
exams is like giving tylenol, it only brings the heat down, but does not
cure the underlying problem.  There should be less subjects.  How can anyone
believe that 5 points Math, English, Physics, 15 points in computers (or
even 10 in say Art or whatever), and all the other sujects like, History,
Literature, Bible ,etc is not horrifying and academically stressful ?
Staying up to 3 in the morning is not always enough for tender young souls!
And there are plenty of pupils like this.  We can't base our decisions on
those pupils who really are lazy, we have to also think about those whose
future can be changed because of a few points less!
Well, that's my 2 cents!!
Ilana