[etni] sabbatical abroad

  • From: sandy regev <sandyregev@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 12:13:59 +0300

i need help! because of personal reasons i will be in ny next year on
sabbatical. sounds great, doesn't it? don't get excited, my problems have
just begun! after spending literally hours on the computer, i realize that i
have a big problem.
my problem is what to do re studies. the minimum i am required to do is 7
hrs (28X7=196 hrs total). the problem is that studies are so very very
expensive there and the keren only pays up to 730nis per hour. this means
that it is going to be a very very expensive year for us. all academic
institutions cost big time and i don't know where else to find courses. even
community colleges ask for $250. per credit/hour for non-residents!
courses for continuing education (usually for older people or non-academics
in universities or local Ys) are very short and light, not acceptable. ditto
for pottery/museum talks/spanish classes, etc.
don't teachers in the US have to study for professional advancement /
broaden their horizons?
i would appreciate it if someone who has done this before me (i'm sure it's
been done) can give me some advice. i don't care what i study as long as i
fulfill this requirement of the keren, or else i won't get my monthly
stipend.
TIA, sandy
--
"As you slide down the banister of life, may the splinters never point the
wrong way."