[etni] reading books in class

  • From: sandy regev <sandyregev@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 5 May 2009 10:32:57 +0300

ok, i'm taking a well-earned break from grading magen exams.
so, since renee wrote about her experiences with students reading in class,
i feel that i have to add what happened in our school too. i also took
adele's idea and decided to try it out on my 4 pt. very weak yod class. i
felt they really weren't reading at home (no time) and didn't like to read.
since they were yod, i could afford the time to experiment.
several points i found really important. i have bookshelves in my room with
books on different levels, so they could always rummage through if they
couldn't find anything in the library (which they never seemed to get to).
there were also picture books, which two of the girls asked if they could
read. i agreed. i don't care what they read, as long as it's in english, and
they try out more difficult books each time. they can start with whatever
they want.
at first, it took a long time for them to settle down and see that it really
was reading time. but once they did, you could hear a pin drop. i give them
20 minutes, each lesson (twice a week) and have them do the described
journal too. they like keeping a list of difficult words, which they learn.
this is really the only time that they read! so i am glad to give them this
gift. my greatest gift was when one girl finished her book and cxame up to
tell me how wonderful it was. i told her impulsively - "you know what? keep
it. as a gift from me and i hope you will read it again and enjoy it". you
should have seen her face!
i haven't tried the music yet, but i want to. i think it was adele who also
suggested a reading party once, with candles? maybe one day.
another important thing - i sit and read together with them. i didn't at
first. i walked around, but then they started asking me questions and the
fact that it wasn't quiet bothered me. i like silence when i read and i
expect others do too. so i brought a book and started reading. it was great.
i finally had a 20 minute break when i could read!! i didn't want to stop!
seriously, several asked afterward to see my book and we started talking
about what we like.
in all, i feel very good about this "experiment" and i will definitely
continue. i think i will continue with them in ya and yb also, as this is
definitely NOT a waste of time.
sandy
--
"As you slide down the banister of life, may the splinters never point the
wrong way."