[etni] present progressive v simple

  • From: Avi Granit <judiavi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ilanar49@xxxxxxxxx, ETNI <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2012 11:07:43 +0200

According to what I learned in for my MEd program last year, overuse of the
present progressive is not limited to native Hebrew speakers when learning
English.  It is a worldwide phenomenon of non-native English (International
English?)  and might be related to the nature of the structure of the present
progressive itself...something which is less about how it is learned and more
about psycho-linguistics and the way it seems to stick.  Anyhow as an almost
universal phenomenon of non-native English - the question is really, how
important is it?
Judi G.