[etni] Re: present Etni poll results

  • From: Rivka Lewenstein <rlewen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 23:35:07 -0800 (PST)

Esther, I don't understand why. The Matkonot can still be a good 50% of the
magen grade. My teaching situation is similar to yours - my students are also
very studious - their projects, book reports, and literature tasks are mostly
in the 90s+ range - but some of them do very poorly on their Matkonot.
Nevertheless, I usually have no problem giving magen / yearly grades according
to the NBA. Which bring me to a suggestion for a new poll (although I think
that I can already guess the results) - How many teachers give magen / yearly
marks according to the percentages allotted by the NBA? (And remember that it's
not really a suggestion - as far as I know, it's obligatory.

  Adele, I agree with you regarding grades and how they affect students'
willingness to come to class and learn. Unless the Bagrut starts testing ALL
the areas of English teaching which we are supposed to cover (e.g., literature,
extensive reading), there has to be some way to impress upon our students that
this is something they need. (OK, I admit that in our school, most students
would probably study no matter what - but I know that this is not the case in
many Israeli classrooms.)

  All the best,
  Rivka