[etni] poll comments

  • From: Yisrael and Batya Medad <ybmedad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 08:45:58 +0200

I see that the results are getting more even.  There's an important issue
connected with the question of hours and ages.  One needs to teach
differently depending upon how many days and hours a week are allocated to
English.  Unfortunately, the methods in fashion today for elementary school
are based on the "immersion" method.  This method is only successful when
the student is exposed to English everyday.  It's like teaching by osmosis;
the material slowly drips in.  Our students, even in some jhs's only have
English twice, maybe three times, a week.  To absorb a foreign language,
they need lots of repetition.
Due to the limited budget, we do have to choose between dividing the
limited hours over more years of study, fewer hours per year, or fewer
years of study, and more hours per year.

Batya