[etni] poem about old age

  • From: Judi Granit <judiavi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2004 13:15:21 +0200

Sharon,
Was this the poem you were looking for?

                 Look Closer               by Phyllis McCormack

What do you see?  What do you see?

Are you thinking when you're looking at me,

A crabbit old woman, not very wise,

Uncertain of habit with faraway eyes;

Who dribbles her food and makes no reply

When you say in a loud voice, "I do wish you'd try."

Who seems not to notice the things that you do,

And forever is losing a stocking or shoe;

Who quite unresisting, lets you do as you will,

With bathing and feeding, the long day to fill;

Is that what you're thinking, is that what you see?

Then open your eyes, you're not looking at me.

I'll tell you who I am as I sit here so still;

As I move at your bidding, as I eat at your will.

I'm a small child of ten with a father and mother,

Brothers and sisters who love one another;

A young girl of sixteen with wings on her feet,

Dreaming that soon now a lover she'll meet.

A bride soon at twenty, my heart gives a leap,

Remembering the vows that I promised to keep;

At twenty-five now I have young of my own

Who need me to build a secure, happy home;

A woman of thirty, my young now grown fast,

Bound to each other with ties that should last;

At forty, my young sons will soon all be gone,

But my man is beside me to see I don't mourn;

At fifty , once more babies play round my knee,

Again we know children, my loved one and me;

Dark days are upon me, my husband is dead,

I look at the future, I shudder with dread;

For my young are all busy with young of their own

And I think of the years and the love that I've known;

I'm an old woman now and nature is cruel,

'Tis her jest to make old age look like a fool;

The body it crumbles, grace and vigor depart,

There is now a stone where I once had a heart.

But inside this old carcass a young girl still dwells,

And now and again my battered heart swells,

I remember the joys, I remember the pain,

I'm loving and living life over again;

I think of the years all too few, gone too fast

And accept the stark fact that nothing can last.

So open your eyes, open and see

Not a crabbit old woman, look closer ? SEE ME.

Best wishes,

Judi Granit