[etni] oral exam

  • From: Sharon Tzur <sharontzu5@xxxxxxx>
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 10:42:26 +0200

For teachers who are not sure how to grade a certain question for students
who were tested orally, my suggestion is to call Judy Steiner and ask! We
called in with a questions on the day of the exam, since we were unsure of
what answer to accept. (F - the purpose of the second newsletter... the
students wrote, "to trace the evolution of popular music from the 1920s to
the present". Some of us felt that was not a good answer, since it lacked
the element of giving information...However, we were told to give the answer
full points. Good thing we called!

Since a unique writing rubric was sent out for these students, why not have
the rubric add up to fewer points, and ensure that the proportion of unseen
to writing points is the same as for other students.

Third point - all of us feel that the number of questions asked of the
orally tested students is absurd, and of course makes for an unreliable
exam. There is no reason in the world why the students can't be asked a few
more questions. In E, with the listening cut out, there is plenty of time to
ask the students most of the questions on the unseen. In F and G, one can
also ask more questions. As it is, the kids just spend more time agonizing
over their answers, because they know that every mistake is so costly!

Yours,

Sharon Tzur