[etni] grammar and vocabulary - linking to Jennifer's great activity.

  • From: naomi epstein <naomi.shema@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2012 15:13:32 +0200

Jennifer wrote:
"What I do is read
them a very short story or anecdote, and tell them to write down
everything they remember. They always have questions.  How do you
say...., which I answer, and that way they gradually learn how to say
what they want to say."
I've been experimenting with a variation on that, with a technological
twist. After reading a text, I made a word cloud of the text using
wordle<http://www.wordle.net/>.
You simply paste the text it and choose the color and style for your cloud.
I then asked students to write something (the number of sentences depended
on their level) using words from the cloud. The only limitation I gave them
was that there must be at least one word from the cloud from each sentence.
A few students tried to recreate pieces of the original text but most of
the others used their own ideas. They were much more attentive than usual
at correcting their grammatical errors because we were working on their own
texts.

You can read (and see the word cloud) about this on the "macappella
blog"<http://macappella.wordpress.com/2012/02/17/what/>

Keep warm, everyone!

naomi epstein
--