[etni] exam proctors

  • From: ask@xxxxxxxx
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 12:51:35 -0700

This is a comment about the proctors sent by the Ministry of Education to
supervise the bagrut examinations.
I am sending this letter anonymously so as not to implicate any particular
school.
I would, quite honestly, like to know where these proctors come from and what
kind of training they receive.
I have already heard of three incidents where proctors were unable to control
the classes, assisted the
students and allowed them to cheat.  In fact I heard of one school where the
proctor told the students they
could copy if they kept quiet about it.
What has become of us?  Is cheating acceptable at all levels?
I don't understand why the proctors are so frightened to annul the test of a
student who disturbs or cheats
during the exam.

I would also like to suggest a money-saving plan for the Ministry of Education,
that would also solve the
problems that I mentioned above.
Bagrut teachers stop active teaching at least two weeks before the start of the
bagrut examinations.  However,
their salary remains the same even though they work fewer hours.
Why can't the teachers of each school be obligated to proctor bagrut exams for
at least six to nine hours?  Of
course, teachers would not be permitted to proctor the exam in their own
subject, but teachers are more
experienced in proctoring and are also more aware of the latest cheating
techniques!
Two teachers should be placed in each class, just like the present situation.

I don't understand why the ministry hasn't come up with this idea, which will
save them millions of shekels
and, in my opinion, be far more serious than the hiring of inexperience
proctors.