[etni] Re: etni Digest V6 #229

  • From: n r <pataliae@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 09:28:04 +0000

Dear All,
As a regular shopper at UPP, I have always found their knowledge and experience
to be very helpful and professional.
Any English teacher with any knowledge of basic literature knows that many
authors use innuendoes as names, from Fleming to Shakespeare. (PussyGalore - as
Ms Brightly is too shy to mention to Longshaft, to thousands or others)  In my
experience, which is quite extensive, unless these are excellent students or
native speaker, or unless someone explains it too them - they would not have a
clue of the innuendo/insinuation of the name and would just think its exactly
that a strange English name.
This not only happens in literature (Bottom in Midsummer's Night, Shakespeare
etc), but also frequently with nursery rhymes and children's television
programmes and films (Charlie and the Chocolate Factory/Willy Wonka all the
names are quite derogatory if you break them down Augustus Gloop, because he
gobbles down food), first names (Dick, Randy acceptable in USA not in UK) or
because of translation differences (Guy Penes famous Israeli actor)

My advice is get better acquainted with literature. Don't read into things
things that were not intended to be read.
Don't translate them literally to sensitive students. Avoid classical
literature because there is always something there as an underlying message,
that's how it became a classic. Use material produced only by various Chabad,
Lubavitch etc .

Happy hunting
Shabbat Shalom

N Rivlin> Subject: [etni] Fw: UPP> Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 23:19:44 +0200> > >
(*ETNI note - The following message from Devorah Brightly regarding UPP is >
followed by an official reply from UPP)> > ----- Original Message ----- > From:
devoboaz - devoboaz@xxxxxxxxxxx> Subject: re: UPP> WG”H> Hi to my fellow
teachers,> > I am so enraged by the service I received at UPP that I just had
to let you > all know.> > I truly believe in supporting the smaller businesses.
Though I usually end > up ordering my textbooks from eric cohen, I try to
support UPP in other > ways. Last year, I ordered over one thousand shekels of
dictionaries from > UPP and I always try to order readers from them.> > This
summer, I ordered another 500 shekels worth of readers from UPP and I > asked
specifically if I could return them If they were not suitable for > yeshiva
boys. The answer was, "Yes." I placed my order and, of course, > found some
unsuitable romance novels, which I had to return.> > Afterwards, as I was
leafing through some of the James Bond readers, I found > that the “Goldfinger”
book featured, as a main character, a woman whose name > is so suggestive and
vulgar that I’m embarrassed to print it. (You’d do me > a big favor if you
called UPP yourselves to find out her name.) This wording > is unsuitable for
any school, much less for a yeshiva.> > I called again and was told that UPP is
not a library, that they will not > exchange the book for me and they don’t
want my business because I make too > much trouble for them. That is my thanks
for trying to help them out!> > Well, UPP said I was a troublemaker, so I
decided to send this letter out > and make even more trouble for them.> > I
wish everyone good luck in the coming school year.> Devorah Brightly> >
========================> > (The following is UPP's reply to Devorah Brightly)>
> To All Etni Readers,> > In response to Ms.Devorah Brightly's letter of
complaint regarding the > service or lack thereof at UPP, the following is a
description of the > events.> > A number of months ago, Ms. Brightly, an
English teacher at a Yeshiva in the > North requested a quote for readers and a
catalogue. It is important to > state that these readers are published by
foreign publications. As a result, > UPP cannot be responsible for the content,
explicit or implicit, conveyed in > these books. This means that the
responsibility lies totally on the > shoulders of teachers who decided to
choose readers for their students. > After receiving the catalogue, Ms.
Brightly took it upon herself to order a > number of readers. Unfortunately,
books purchased from foreign publications > cannot be returned and this fact
was made clear prior to Ms. Brightly's > purchase.> > Despite the company
policy at UPP regarding foreign publications, and > considering the fact that
Ms. Brightly teaches at a Yeshiva, our front desk > employee tried to help Ms.
Brightly with her plight by bending the rules and > gracefully exchanged one of
the readers. This in turn, opened up a stream of > demands to exchange
additional books from the list purchased.> > Is the lesson learnt from this
unfortunate event that one should not defy > company policy by bending the
rules in order to please a customer?> > We hope not!> > Wishing all of us a
successful and fruitful year.> > Deena Reved> Marketing Manager - UPP> > > >
Win New York holidays with Kellogg’s & Live Search
http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/107571440/direct/01/