[etni] Re: etni Digest V6 #211

  • From: n r <pataliae@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 15:54:52 +0000

for your information regarding workbooks

i recently met with the representatives from UPP (University Publishing) - the
other main supplier, (Eric Cohen is the other one) of English school books in
Israel
they have a few new very nice lines suitable for native speakers. One is their
own line of books, the other, I think, produced by MacMillan designed for
native English speakers in the Middle East
I think Longman also do something suitable.

The other place to look that is very good and helpful, with a surprisingly
extensive range is WizKids, also in Ra'anana  http://www.wizkids.co.il/

U should ask them for the catalogues, or samples they are very nice they
combine the required level of English with suitability for the relevant
age.http://www.macmillanenglish.com/Worldwide_Generic.aspx?id=13772
http://www.etni.org.il/library/publishers.htm
http://www.pearsonlongman.com/

other good places to look are scholastic, heinmann publishers

good luck

------------------------------> > From: "Ask Etni" <ask@xxxxxxxx>> Subject:
[etni] Fw: re: dovrei anglit teachers> Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 08:36:07 +0200> >
> ----- Original Message ----- > From: <marlenegay@xxxxxxxxx>> Subject: Re:
dovrei anglit teachers> > > Dovrei anglit teaching emphasizes less the
mechanics of language, i.e.,> grammar/vocabulary accuracy and more creative
aspects of language,> especially literature. Even at the basic levels, where
basic decoding skills> are taught - it is assumed that the native speaker pupil
has a basic> vocabulary, at least orally (or aurally), on which to build on and
for which> s/he is tested on. However, in wealthy neighborhoods it has become a
status> symbol to be in Dovrim, so standards have dropped. So out of some 40
pupils,> maybe 10 are really dovrim.> Books and courseware mostly come from
abroad (England or the States)> because the level taught to Israelis is too
easy for the good native> speaker. If you end up using unseens (articles), the
content intended for> the teenager usually doesn't suit the younger learner.
However, language> arts, viz., grammar and vocabulary exercises can be gleaned
from Israeli> workbooks. I haven't found the perfect balance in a single
textbook and> suggested to my colleage that we should write our own... Well,
someday. BTW,> there's a meeting soon in Kfar Saba of dovrei anglit teachers to
brainstorm> these issues.> To answer your question - there used to be a course
(hishtalmut) for> teachers of dovrei anglit in Kfar Saba and the lecturers were
mostly> teachers at the American School in Kfar Saba. There also used to be a>
Madricha (counselor). Now I think you can get advice at any teaching> college.
The teaching is supposed to be as is practiced in English speaking> countries -
or at least one level above grade level here.> Marlene> > > > ----- Original
Message ----- > > From: Michael Lewis - mike1302@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> > Subject:
dovrei anglit teachers> >> > Shalom,> >> > I see adverts for dovrei anglit
teachers and I wondered how these differed> > from normal English teaching. Is
there a specific qualification that one> > needs to become qualified to teach
this? Would a TEFL qualification help?> >> > We are desperate to move back to
Israel and would appreciate any advice on> > this subject.> >> > Yours,> >> >
Michael Lewis> > > ------------------------------> > From: "Ask Etni"
<ask@xxxxxxxx>> Subject: [etni] Fw: August Hello> Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008
08:51:56 +0200> > > ----- Original Message ----- > From: Barry Silverberg -
barisil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> Subject: August Hello> > > A Summer Message to all
readers of my Column:> >
http://www.etni.org/teachers/barry/2008/Blogging_Aug8.doc> > > >
------------------------------> > End of etni Digest V6 #211>
**************************> ** to post to this list - etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx **> **
for help - ask@xxxxxxxx **> ** Etni homepage - www.etni.org **>
Win New York holidays with Kellogg’s & Live Search
http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/107571440/direct/01/