[etni] Re: etni Digest V10 #66

  • From: Adele Raemer <araemer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: reidnomad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2012 12:01:25 +0200

Ok - I took up Daivd's idea and went to Google
fight<http://www.googlefight.com/>.
Here are the results:
go:      643 000 000 results
going:  206 000 000 results

eat:        60 900 000 results
eating:    45 200 000 results

play;     101 000 000 results
playing:   98 900 000 results

read:       517 000 000 results
reading:   133 000 000 results

simple wins out by far every time. There is no question about it - native
speakers use simple far more often than progressive - unfortunately, too
few of our students really understand the difference.

Adele

*This week's words of wisdom:*
*" **I wondered why the baseball kept getting bigger. Then it hit me.**"*
*
**
*