[etni] common errors

  • From: "remanuel" <remanuel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ETNI" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2008 16:26:47 +0200

The last common error posted was something to the effect of
"he's eating by our house/ by us". This is common in New York and
wherever there is a large Jewish population as it is a translation of the
Yiddish/German "bei uns".
That reminds me of two words that are true false friends (talk about
oxymorons!) and common errors
of our Israeli students:
The first is "actual"; in Ivrit aktuali comes from the German aktuell meaning
in the news, relevant to today, topical, which is not the English 'actual'.
The second is sympathetic; in Ivrit simpati comes from the German sympathisch
meaning congenial, likeable.
Sympathetic in English is the quality of feeling together with another - a more
literal translation of the Greek root.
I love it when I'm capable of bringing  a bit of etymology into my lessons.
It's a fascinating subject, the kids love it and it often explains the
illogical aspects of spelling etc.
Shabbat Shalom and Chag Sameach
Rachelle