[etni] Re: bagrut answers for winter exams

  • From: Dena Livne <livne690@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 13:47:31 +0200

Regarding F & G modules
Our school gave the 5 pt 12th grade class the winter's f & g modules as a
"test".  Before giving the exam, I sat with a group of teachers and we wrote
our own answer sheet of what we would accept and what not.  Then I got a
copy of the marvad answers to these two modules - without all the
amendments.   I have to say I was surprised at the multitude of answers that
seemed to be acceptable.  Some of the answers were so general as to be
almost meaningless.  The only conclusion I could reach is that the questions
are written in such a vague fashion as to be open to multiple
interpretrations, where almost anything goes.  Student may answer the same
question by reaching a conclusion, making an inference, relating to specific
information and a multitude of other benchmarks.  In my opinion, this
reflect a poor exam writing techniques on the part of those who write the
exam rather than good reading comprehension skills on the part of those
taking the exam.

I would also like to relate to grammatical point in two particular questions
from the F exam.  For some reason, in questions 2 and 3, the answers given
begin with a capital letter - To recommend websites / To teach a skill etc.
I want to know whether points are taken off if the student does NOT begin
with a capital letter.  As far as I understand the English language, "To
recommend websites" etc. is NOT a sentence and I see no reason for the
answer to begin with a capital letter.  If the student were to write "The
role of the experts is to recommend websites", I would agree that a capital
letter should be used, although personally I feel it would be a little small
minded to take off points (approximately 1/3 of the value of the question).
However, why is a capital letter used if the answer is NOT a sentence?

I realize this might seem like a small point, but if this is considered an
error, a lot of points can be lost.  So, are there any of you out there who
are marking officially who can help me?
Dena Livne