[etni] agreeing with Ronald Green and more

  • From: "Meryl Davidi" <meryld@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 15:37:00 +0000

 To:  etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx[1]From:  meryl schwartz davidiSubject:  agreeing
with Ronald Green and more Hello ETNI PEOPLE#1:  I agree with all that
RonaldGreen said:    From: Ronald Green
<greenelt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx[2]>Subject: [etni] Dovrat and English Before
English teachers get carried away by Dovrat, it may be advisable to remember
that Dovrat is not the reason English teaching is in the state it is. Dovrat
is not the reason the standard of English is lower than it was ten years ago
(and falling by the hour). Dovrat is not the reason that books used in 9th
grades ten years ago are now too difficult for 12th grade. If teachers don't
keep that in mind, soon we will be able to blame Dovrat for all that. Dovrat
did not deal with pedagogical issues; that was not in its mandate and it
would have been impossible to go into the issues that apply to each subject.
Interesting it would have been if it had gone into the NBA and what ails
English in this country. Demonstrating against Dovrat can be very elevating
and good as a way of showing solidarity with teachers in general. But surely
it would be more to the point to demonstrate against what affects English
teachers - the NBA.  Ronald Green
#2:  Moreover, the abysmal condition of English teaching/learning  today in
this country is due, in my opinion,  to more than the NBA.   The NBA is just
another milestone along the deteriorating  blue-and-white brick road.
Othercauses are the other decisions - -and have purposely deleted the
adjectives that come to mind - - of whoever from the last two decades or so:

·         taking literature out of the Bagrut exam,

·         taking out cloze exercises on all levels (not everyone agrees, I
know)

·         taking out reading comprehension texts where students can answer
inHebrew  ( in three and four point exams)

There are other examples.  The above are only a few.  The NBA has only
continued the trend, with a whole new buzzword glossary that matches current
educational fads and PhD's.    And     TWO projects.  And the project is 60%
of the oral exam grade.  Come on.

All of the above, together with the corrosion of society's norms in general,
have led to yet another commission  - -Dovrat - -which dictates to teachers
what to do and how to do it.   And we all will suffer:  teachers, students,
society in general.  A shame, really.

I am certainly a dinosaur; however, even younger teachers agree with me.  We
need a road back to sanity:

·         For education in general:  law, order and consistency.

·         For English teaching/learning:   back to basics.     And that's
nota bad idea for the whole educational system either.

I am glad I will not be in the system when yet another lovely "reforma "  -
-occurring every nine years or so  - -  rains down upon teachers.   And I am
certainly despondent over the education that my grandchildren will receive
here.   Perhaps sanity will sneak quietly in before too much damage is done
to them.  Educational fads are like pendulums.  Maybe in ten years or so
thing will improve.  Who knows.

meryl schwartz davidi

Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! MSN Messenger[3] Download
today it's FREE!

--- Links ---
   1
http://by21fd.bay21.hotmail.msn.com/cgi-bin/compose?curmbox=F000000001&amp;a=4c317638d19d0d3662bd33ec3c16964b&amp;mailto=1&amp;to=etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx&amp;msg=MSG1104909423.20&amp;start=231900&amp;len=8911&amp;src=&amp;type=x
   2
http://by21fd.bay21.hotmail.msn.com/cgi-bin/compose?curmbox=F000000001&amp;a=4c317638d19d0d3662bd33ec3c16964b&amp;mailto=1&amp;to=greenelt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx&amp;msg=MSG1104909423.20&amp;start=231900&amp;len=8911&amp;src=&amp;type=x
   3 http://g.msn.com/8HMAEN/2731??PS=47575