[etni] The ETAI conferences and my pet peve

  • From: Mitzi Geffen <mitzi1002001@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 11:48:47 -0800 (PST)

Hi All,
    Two letters from ETAI this week about upcoming conferences. I always look
forward to the great exchange of ideas and being recharged by many of the
presentations. I think about whether I should present again, or whether I
should sit back and learn from others. And then I look down at the bottom of
the form and there it is again - the ____ charge for using equipment while
presenting!  I probably wrote about this last year, but I'm getting my soap box
out again. Simply, we all lose by not sharing the cost of presenters (excluding
commercial presenters) using the "barco", computer, video, and whatever else
would enhance their presentations. Recently, at the teachers' center in
Herzelia, I had the pleasure of giving a session with my Powerpoint
presentation on a CD. No transparencies fell on the floor, I was able to return
to a slide when one of the participants had a question about it,  and I was
able to include pictures (which, of course, were worth 1000 words). ETAI
members are
 generous enough to put time and effort into their voluntary presentations so
that they can share their experience and expertise with us. It is not at all
reasonable to expect them to pay 300 NIS for the privilege of doing so!( in
addition to the conference fee)  Surely, if ETAI members are not willing to add
10 NIS to the conference fee to cover the use of the equipment for all of the
presenters, there is no reason why a presenter would add 300 NIS to his/her
fee. Can't we finally change this? We would all benefit from more professional,
smoother and better illustrated presentations. Shall we have a poll about it?
             All the best,
                     Mitzi
P.S. At the medical conference I recently attended with my husband ( I was just
along for the food and good time!) the cost of the "barco" was figured into the
conference fee and all presenters were expected to create a Powerpoint slide
show to illustrate their talks!