[etni] Thank you

  • From: judy yaron <judyyaron@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ETNI <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 13:59:45 -0700 (PDT)

Hi People,
For seven years I was a lurker. For seven years, I observed, followed,
documented and analyzed the dynamics of the ETNI Community and the nature of
the interactions amongst its members. For seven years ETNI was the focus of my
doctoral thesis.
During this time teachers shared their stories with me. Quite a few
participated in online interviews. Even more â?? actually many more â??
responded to my online survey. And there were those who took part in in-depth
follow-up interviews allowing me â??to pick their brains and their heartsâ??
(because good teaching, as we all know, comes from the heart.) And during this
time, David, dear David, to whom we all owe so much, was always supportive,
helpful and encouraging.
And for all that I am sincerely grateful.
                        ***
The pilot of my study suggested that the members of the ETNI Community practice
what is called â??Shared Leadershipâ??. As my research evolved, I explored the
existence of qualities of Shared Leadership within the ETNI Community as well
as the membersâ?? perceptions and understandings of Shared Leadership,
Educational Leadership (particularly their expectations of their Educational
Leaders), the concept of â??teachers as leadersâ??, and finally, to what extent
they want to take upon themselves leadership roles beyond their work in the
classroom.
My doctorate was the most challenging endeavor I have ever undertaken. I would
say that I worked harder on it than on anything else in my entire professional
life. However, at the same time, it was an ongoing celebration of my peers â??
the English teachers of Israel: their hard work, devotion, professionalism,
passion and most of all their collegiality.
If all goes according to plan, I will be presenting my study at the ETAI
International Conference and after that I will post it on ETNI.
But, for now, I just wanted to say thank you: thank you, first of all to David
â?? you are amazing beyond words. Thank you to all those who contributed â??
knowingly or unknowingly â?? to my study by taking part in my interviews and
survey, by posting things on the site, by contributing to The Rag, by posting
messages on The List and participating in the ETNI polls and discussions.
Finally, thank you to all the English teachers of Israel for the work you are
doing. No matter where I might me in the world, no matter what I might be
doing, to me this community is home.
Teachers over the years have described ETNI as a platform to speak their voice.
I hope that my study will help the voices of ETNI to be heard.
Chag Sameach and Yeshar Koach,
 Judy Yaron
PS â?? And, oh yea, my PhD has been approved J
Judy Yaron PhD
National YALP Coordinator
Yachad Accelerated Learning Project (YALP)
61 Spring Street
Melbourne 3000
Office Phone: +61 3 9654 9064
Mobile (Australia): +61 4 296 974 83