[etni] Tapes vs CDs

  • From: James Backer <drjamesbacker@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 03:43:30 -0700 (PDT)

Greetings, all!

Lev makes some good points, but he overlooked the fact
that the Ministry of Education still sends its audio
exams as tapes rather than CDs.

This means that working with kids using CDs might
align with their current technological level, but it
does not prepare them for the technological step
backwards the Ministry requires in the Bagrut. Working
with linear tapes (rather than random-access CDs)
takes more practice - perhaps a lot more practice for
dyslexics who have problems putting items in order.

All this means that either:
1. the Ministry of Education should catch up with the
rest of the world and start recording the Bagrut on
CDs, or
2. we have to force kids to buy and practice using
walkmans (walkmen?) in order to do well in the Bagrut.

I'll leave it to you all to draw the conclusions.

Jimmy (The Tape King of Har V'Gai School)

From: "lev" <lev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [etni] Re: recordings
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 18:02:11 +0200

A controversial issue.

On the one hand, most of us would probably prefer a
reusable medium,
and =
in
this sense, tapes are better. On the other hand,
almost no-one owns a
walkman anymore - most kids use portable CD players
(diskman), many are
switching for MP3 players (iPod etc).

My own experience: it is easier to convince them to
bring a diskman
than =
walkman.

Hence, I suggest using a regular computer + a
microphone (I bought a =
clip-on
mike at Office Depot for NIS 12 - works fine) to
create .wav files
which =
can
then be copied onto an audio CD. The same vendor -
OfficeDepot -
carried =
BenQ CD burner (NIS 200), and blank CD-Rs go for 1.68
when bought in =
packs
of 100.

There are several freeware audio editors that can be
downloaded, are =
easy to
use and produce good quality recordings. If there is
enough interest I
=
will
create a tutorial on using CD burners and put it on
our site.

I have used this arrangment for my LD students at the
college for over
=
two
years; very convenient. If you keep your files, you
can also encode
them =
as
MP3 - then kids can downlaod them of the school site
as listening
comprehension drills, as soon as you decide you won't
be using these
materials for testing. MP3 encoders are freeware as
well.

Disclaimer:=20

1. I have no vested interest in OfficeDepot. :)=20

2. Any resemblance between the so-called OfficeDepot
in this message
and =
the
real OfficeDepot stores is purely coincidental.

Lev

http://promotions.yahoo.com/goldrush