[etni] THE LETTER AND THE SITUATION OF ENGLISH TEACHING IN ISRAEL

  • From: Golomb <golomb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: etni <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2008 14:22:23 +0200

The letter that is circulating about the appalling, deplorable situation of
English teachers in Israel merely confirms what I said about 5 years ago.

The "new" system of teaching has led us nowhere.

Mahatma Ghandi succeeded in bringing about massive reforms simply by using
passive resistance.

All we English teachers have to do is refuse to accept additional tasks
without being consulted and, of course, without adequate remuneration.

As far as the projects are concerned, they have proved to be a dismal farce
and failure.

I, as well as some other teachers, met with the Pedagogical Director of the
Education Ministry in Judy Steiner's presence.  We claimed that the exam
doesn't test what we are supposed to teach in class.

However, the director has since left his office and no changes have been
implemented.

Remember, united we stand and divided we fall!

I'm willing to assist and I earnestly implore my fellow teachers to stand up
and be counted!

Well done to those teachers who compiled the letter.  Let's convert the
words to deeds!

Nina Golomb