[etni] Recording texts year-round

  • From: "R. Borenstein" <rachcb1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'sara g'" <saragabai@xxxxxxxxx>, "'ETNI list'" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 22:52:10 +0300

Dear Sara,
Until mid-year, I was a personal recording studio, making CDs and uploading
files to MP3 players prior to tests (all at home)  - two different modules
each time. One way to speed up the process dramatically was making a one
time purchase of Natural Reader, a text-to-speech (TTS) program which I got
with near-human voices. One can download similar programs, for free, such as
Read Please or Text Aloud. I can adjust the speed of the recordings, divide
the text and questions into tracks, though not questions "complete the
table", and the program works automatically in my Outlook and Word programs.
This only works if you have the text in digital form.

At some point, I went to the school and asked for a station there. They set
up one staff computer for this purpose. It already had a CD burner and
Audacity downloaded on it (by an English teacher, of course). They added a
headset with a microphone, and a USB plug with multiple "outlets" (I've lost
my proper jargon here). We also have Nero/ Media Player and a burner  on
some computers in the library and computer room, to burn extra CDs. Now we
have computer files with recordings, which we can download in the future.

Rachelle