[etni] Re: Oral Bagrut for 7th graders

  • From: Lev Abramov <lev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ETNI <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2005 19:15:02 +0200

**** If I had the chance to do it all over again. - www.etni.org ****

Marvellous! Just fantastic! We all know the feeling - and we can
definitely share your excitement.

Actually, with a little bit of institutional support, this could be the
best way to test the pupils' oral proficiency, instead of just
reshuffling the cuecards (no offence meant, Penny!). It could be
supplemented by a Job Interview, Buying a Ticket, Taking a Taxi,
Organizing a Party stations, etc.

But it cannot be done as a system if you have to rely on volunteers: one
day you'll find yourself understaffed - then what?! The school has to
make provision for an event like that - all the logistics, equipment, etc.

Honestly, I cannot picture too many school administrators thrilled with
the idea. It is time-consuming, requires good logistics skills - and it
boils down to lots of extra hours that should be paid for. Most
principals will just find it easier to say "no." In the final score, you
have to recruit 4 colleagues to do it - then you owe them 4 x 3 = 12
hours of your time when *they* need you to man (male?;-) a station while
their pupils take the test.

Actually, I could live with it IF the school administration made a
decision to reimburse me by letting me stay home for the last two weeks
of school and to keep paying me my regular salary. After all, there's
nothing for me to do: the pupils are too busy with their exams to be
bothered, and do not come to the lessons. All the administration wants
is to make sure I *do not* get paid if I do not punch the card. Come to
school; waste some time there; humbly ask to be relieved; go home; get
your pay.  Is it an incentive to make me feel like walking an extra mile?

[sigh]

Lev