[etni] Re: Need for English teaching Initiative

  • From: Eduardo Lina <eduardolina@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2012 09:58:23 -0700 (PDT)

Hi!
I suggest using Information and Communication Technology (ICT) with the
children in and out of school.
Possibility 1: Use Edmodo. It's an Educational Social Network that looks like
Facebook (yet , and that is important when it comes to primary school children,
it isn't Facebook). You can embed You Tube / Teacher Tube and other clips
(there is a lot of stuff you can choose there, and elsewhere). You can also
link or upload texts, lyrics, well, whatever. You can give assignments, etc.
You can get the kids to communicate with you in English in a safe (closed)
environment. And more...
See
http://www.edmodo.com/
Check the help center
Possibility 2 (requires more work, but it is good anyway): Use Moodle
If your school has Mashov, then it comes with Moodle (which is free, anyway,
but Mashov saves you a lot of work because you don't have to fill in
information concerning the kids - name, password, and the like).
The Mashov people have people who can train you and other teachers in the use
of the tool.
It's not absolutely easy, but it isn't that difficult to learn and use.
Once again, this tool offers a safe (closed) environment.
You can do all you can do with Edmodo, but better (structured, what you put is
easy to see and you deterrmine when you want it to be seen, etc.) with Moodle
With elementary school children, this is good and it may appeal to them because
they probably use tehnology quite a lot (in this sense, it is 21 centurish, if
I may use the term)
You mention having a fully equipped English room. You don't need lots of
computers at school for what I have written. I guess most kids have computers
at home, and maybe they can also use the one(s) in the the school library, or
the local library.
Incidentally, I haven't written anything about using phone technology which is
even more 21 centurish, because I am not very sure about how to do things at
school with it. Some teachers have written about that here, so looking for that
might help and give you some more ideas (I think that came up about a month
ago).
I have used Edmodo (and Facebook before that, and Blogs before FB), and am
"moving" to Moodle this year.
Good luck
Eduardo Lina
www.kugel.org.il