[etni] NS vs NNS

  • From: elizabeth yuval <maore29@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 18:18:58 +0200

Etni is an open forum, allowing for the free exchange of ideas, which is good.
However, opening the NS vs NNS can of worms again is an exercise in absolute
futility. Let us say, just for the sake of argument, that "everyone" decides
that  the best teacher  for a class of native speakers (assuming that such a
thing exists, which, in my opinion, it does not) is an NS teacher. Then what?
Are NNS teachers going to stop teaching them? Not voluntarily. All that will
happen is that they will feel lousy about themselves, and unhappy and
resentful, and I would like to mention here that students aren't the only
people who need motivation. So what purpose will have been served? None. Let us
therefore assume that "everyone" decides that the best teacher for a class of
native speakers is an NNS teacher. Then what? Are the NS teachers going to stop
teaching them? Not voluntarily. All that will happen is that they will feel
lousy about themselves, and unhappy and resentful. What purpose will have been
served? None. So what's the point? My French teachers in high school were Dr.
Meninkoff and Mr. Walker. Between them they may have had a total of 4 months in
France, tops. That didn't stop any of us from learning French. And it shouldn't
stop anyone from learning English.
Elizabeth Yuval