[etni] Re: More word puzzles]

  • From: "David Lloyd" <david@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 00:20:57 +0300

For all of my online dictionary needs, I go to -

"OneLook Dictionary Search"
www.onelook.com

This has served as my major dictionary source for the last few years.

Entering in the word: "gazump" - I was immediately presented with
definitions of the word from 14 different dictionaries to choose from,
including a quick definition on the same page at the side.

I actually prefer using this tool over a non-virtual dictionary  - not only
because it takes me less time to enter in the URL and word and get the
definitions - than it does to walk to the bookcase and pull down the
dictionary and leaf through it to the correct spot ...
- but more importantly - if I am not quite happy with a definition and
examples given by one dictionary, I can quickly click into the next one.
Many times I like to cross check the definitions given by the different
dictionaries - especially for words which are quite new to me (and yes - NSs
do not know all of the words in the English language. It would be
interesting to know what percentage of all of the words in the English
language the average NS does know. Maybe someone has come across such a
statistic. In fact, it is such a well-known fact that there are so many
words in the English language unknown to the average NS, that a popular
bluffing game - "Balderdash" - came out based on this very premise.)

David