[etni] Re: Looking for list of lexical chunks to improve spoken fluency

  • From: "leosel@xxxxxxxxx" <leosel@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2015 16:38:50 +0200

Varda,
I think you're looking more for a list of chunks such as "to tell you
the truth...", "it's a matter of...", "when it comes to..." etc. Am I
right?

Because Martinez & Schmitt's list provides most common combinations
but most of them (e.g. "no one", "a bit", "a number of") are not
really what we would call 'lexical chunks' for pedagogic purposes. And
some of them are multi-part (phrasal) verbs, such as "look after" and
"pick up".

As far as I know - and I quite am interested in field of formulaic
language and follow its development quite closely, there is nothing of
the kind you might be looking for. While Martinez & Schmitt's list is
clearly a step in the right direction, it's probably not what most
teachers need. So, in the meantime... use your intuition.

Some articles on the topic:

http://elt-resourceful.com/2012/07/30/markers-fillers-and-hedging-not-landscape-gardening-but-authentic-communication/

http://jalt-publications.org/tlt/articles/688-lessons-analysis-chunks

And, of course, you're welcome to stop by my blog Leoxicon anytime! :)

LEO

Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2015 08:32:32 +0200
Subject: [etni] Looking for list of lexical chunks to improve spoken fluency
From: Israel Cohen <cohen.izzy@xxxxxxxxx>

The *Phrase List by Martinez & Schmitt *is in frequency-of-usage order. It
only gives one example of each phrase, but you can easily add more.
http://www.academia.edu/1297347/A_Phrasal_Expressions_List_The_PHRASE_List_-_Martinez_R._and_Schmitt_N._2012_._Applied_Linguistics_33_3_pp._299-320

Izzy

Israel A Cohen

Petah Tikva

cohen.izzy@xxxxxxxxx

Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2015
From: Varda Morell <vardamorell@xxxxxxxxx>

I am looking for lists of phrases/lexical chunks used in spoken conversation
to give to my students who are preparing for the 5 point oral bagrut. Does
anyone have anything prepared that might be useful?
Varda Morell

** ETNI Blog and Poll
   http://ask-etni.blogspot.co.il/
** Etni homepage - http://www.etni.org