[etni] Re: Helicopters disaster

  • From: Gail Shuster-Bouskila <gailshb@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 10:13:06 +0200

*WHEN BAD THINGS HAPPEN TO GOOD PEOPLE***

We find life's disasters upsetting not only because they are painful but because they are exceptional. Most people wake up on most days feeling good. Most illnesses are curable. Most airplanes take off and land safely. Most of the time, when we send our children out to play, they come home safely. The accident, the robbery, the inoperable tumor are life-shattering exceptions. When you have been hurt by life, it may be hard to keep that in mind…When we are stunned by some tragedy, we can only see and feel the tragedy. Only with time and distance can we see the tragedy in the context of a whole life and the whole world. In the Jewish tradition, the special prayer known as the Mourners' Kaddish is not about death, but about life, and it praises God for having created a basically good and livable world. *[/We must see/] the tragedy in the context of a whole life,* *keep… your eye and mind on what has enriched you and not only on what you have lost*.

by Rabbi Harold S. Kushner.

--
Keep in touch, Gail Shuster-Bouskila

HOMEPAGE: http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Pantheon/8127/

"If we are taught what to think, but not how to think, we end up not thinking at all" -- Mordecai M. Kaplan

Issue #2 of The Rag is now online!!!
http://www.etni.org/etnirag/

Add yourself / Update your entry to "Who's Who on Etni"
http://www.boker.org.il/etni/whoswho.htm