[etni] "Hakbatzot" or heterogeneous?

  • From: "Ask_Etni" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ETNI" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 06:44:41 +0200

I've been teaching English for almost 30 years now b"h and have seen, heard
and used  many of the "in" ideas and projects that we were told about during
the different stages of my career. I've gone through having  both
heterogeneous classes (where the students weren't happy) and "hakbatzot"
(same level groups).

 I remember that in the olden days, principals used to say that they got
instructions from the Ministry of Education not to have "hakbatzot". For
years now, we've had "hakbatzot" anyway because we've seen that in the long
run it helps our students to succeed in learning English and prepare for the
Bagrut when they're in the same level group from Junior High School.

We have a new principal who comes from an elementary school where there are
no "hakbatzot" and he decided on his own, without consulting with our
English staff to abolish "hakbatzot".   Students who have been studying in
the same level groups for the past two years have suddenly found themselves
studying in a heterogeneous class. They (and their parents and we, the
teachers) are frustrated and upset but there's nothing to do about it
because our principal will not budge.

I was wondering what's going on in  schools around the country and suggested
the idea of a poll to David.

Anonymous