[etni] Re: HOTS and sending letter

  • From: Louise - <lu_mmm@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Etni <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 04:58:10 -0500

Does anyone remember the song, "Sit Down, You're Rocking the Boat" from the
musical, Guys and Dolls? So, here I go - rockin' that boat......

A letter signed by all of us should be written to the MOE. But shouldn't it
have more in it than HOTS, because there is so much more that we are dealing
with, isn't there? Now I know some of you may say - let's start with this issue
and then move to another. However, there is a school of thought that states
that once you get one thing, you can't ask for another. I guess I am in the
latter category. If I am going to ask for one thing, it is going to something
of the greatest importance.

For me what is much more compelling than HOTS is getting a wage that I can
support myself on. I am earning around 4000 shekels a month and using my
personal savings in order to stay in this profession. I know most of us could
not be living on our salaries without supplementing it with a second income.
There is no justification for this. We must fight for a living wage (ie a wage
that we can support ourselves on). I would also like to see a salary scheme
that will give me more than a few thousand shekels extra after 30 years of
employment. Then I would like to see smaller classes, a budget that allows us
to make copies when we need to, create a more dynamic classroom learning
environment with books, English newspapers, an in-class computer, projector,
Internet. I would also like us to have more independence to place our students
in the correct level.

Have I rocked the boat? I hope so. Am I asking too much? I don't think so. I
think we must go for it all together, because it is the right thing to do. We
are only asking for what we deserve. Fairness and Justice. To quote:

Shakespeare:

?It is not in the stars to hold our destiny but in ourselves.?

Benjamin E Mays (a mentor to Dr. Martin Luther King):

?It isn?t a disgrace not to reach the stars, but it is a disgrace to have no
stars to reach for.?

Louise