[etni] Re: HOTS again

  • From: David Graniewitz <graniewitz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: chayarap@xxxxxxxxx, etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2010 13:46:16 +0300 (IDT)

 Chaya, you, of course are completely correct
(unfortunately.) The problem is that, like you, I suppose I
would get a grip on things and end up doing the required
work (albeit through gritted teeth) but what about all the
other requirements that have been added through the years?

These, as has been pointed out repeatedly, seemed like
really good ideas at the time, but soon turned into burdens
that just had to be done to get through the Bagrut. I know
that there are teachers who will say that they still take
Book Reports and Projects seriously and do them according to
Ministry specifications, but, let's face it, there are many
who do not. I have seen projects done by pupils in good
schools in which very little effort and thought was put.

In time this will happen to the log. Yet here it will be
more serious as the log will count for around 27% of the
WHOLE Bagrut grade whilst the project only counts for 30% of
one module. (I know it carries more weight in the oral exam,
but there the pupil is given the grade for his/her ability
to talk about the project not for the way he/she did it.)

IMHO, the Inspectorate has missed an opportunity of making
some type of concession to teachers by taking off Book
Reports or even Projects from the Bagrut. Perhaps in that
way we could have felt that it understood the pressures we
are under and it could have made a gesture by lightening our
workload. I think that fewer teachers would be objecting to
the new programme had this been done.

Regards
David Graniewitz
Jerusalem

Date:   Wed 4 Aug 10:28:16 IDT 2010
From:   Chaya Rapoport <chayarap@xxxxxxxxx>  Add to
Contacts
Subject:   [etni] HOTS again
To:   etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sorry to interrupt you 4-5 speakers. If  may add my take on
this unbearably
HOT issue, yes, it is a very badly thought out program.But
not so different
than the other badly thought out programs. For instance the
Modular Bagrut .
If every student (in the name of flexibility) can test at
5 different modules A-E or C-F  because maybe they'll be
lucky and pass at
the higher level, (and the teachers have to mark endless
matkonot because
the principal also thinks that heck! why not? more teudot
bagrut on a higher
level)  then that in MHO is a badly thought out program. Or
how about the
projects?  A great idea to teach kids who have no idea how
to summarize,
paraphrase, quote or write a bibliography in their native
language to do it
in English. And yes, there are lots of weak 4 pointers out
there. Anybody
notice? They're doing 4 pts. for the aforementioned
reasons.  I can go on
about the elementary goals etc. but I won't. You all know
better than me
about all the flukes in this system.
So back to HOTS - I guess that with a good book  and a few
modifications to
the badly thought out program we will survive and won't be
doing much more
harm to our students than all the other programs. HOWEVER, I
refuse to be
volunteered into any more new badly thought out programs.
Just the thought
that my minister volunteered me to work on another
log/module without
thinking that I deserve compensation is HORRENDOUS and I
refuse!
Oh, I totally agree with Tessa and Eleanor about
the pedagogical ramifications of the issue. It's just that I
don't think
that the MOE is so concerned. Otherwise there would be more
dialog.
Sorry again for interrupting.
--
Chaya

        Inbox Draft Sent Trash bills coordinators Drafts
Jokes Junk Mail Oral