[etni] HOTS Petition

  • From: Golomb <golomb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 17:19:45 +0200

Names are coming in at a steady pace to my email.  I'll soon be ready to
send another letter!
So far, I've heard nothing from any of the parties.  I don't intend to let
matters lie stagnant and I intend contacting the Irgun tomorrow.
By the way, when the NBA was first introduced, Laurie and I were involved in
a similar petition, with which we reached the highest possible echelons.  As
a result of our efforts, only one project is required (instead of the
proposed three) and we would have got further had the pedagogical director
of the ministry not resigned.  One of our demands, then, was to have
literature tested on the bagrut exam.

One of my present claims (and this is my personal point of view) is that
projects and extensive reading be removed from our program to make way for
literature.  Projects, in my opinion, are only suited to a good 5 point
class.  In addition, we are turning a blind eye to cheating, plagiarism etc.
As for extensive reading, we all have stories about how students "read"
books.  Of course, there are always the exceptions among students but, come
on, who are we kidding???

I, personally, think that the teaching of HOTS in English is ridiculous when
the students are not familiar with HOTS in their native tongue!!!

So keep on sending in the names.  I'll turn to the media if there is no
response from the ministry.

Nina