[etni] Fwd: re: module f (literature) winter 2013

  • From: ETNI list <etni.list@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Etni <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2013 15:44:49 +0300

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: bonnie rechter <bonnie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: module f (literature) winter 2013

Just a short comment on log grades.  In my five point class, they run
the entire spectrum.  There are the hardworking students who have
thoughtfully done all the assignments and turned in all their logs and
received  well deserved  high grades.  There are average ability
students who have been responsible and thorough in their logs and have
done well.  Finally, there are highly capable students who have
refused to get their act together and have barely passed or even
failed. The last group includes two students who have always aced
exams but didn't believe that in the the end they would be not given
consideration for their  language talents regardless of performance. I
think that this provides an important life lesson since they are given
the opportunity to  show that ability in E and G. While I have enjoyed
working with the Log especially because of the possibility it offers
for creativity and for choosing texts that i feel my classes will
appreciate, my enthusiasm is diminished when we are speaking of doing
it simultaneously in three different grade levels with insufficient
class time. Perhaps there should be fewer texts. We can always add
literary items when appropriate to the content we are teaching outside
of the Log.  Basically, a bit too much of a good thing.
** ETNI Blog and Poll
   http://ask-etni.blogspot.co.il/
** Etni homepage - http://www.etni.org
** post to ETNI List - etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx