[etni] Re: Fwd: re: Learning in the south

  • From: קובי לביא <kobilavy@xxxxxxx>
  • To: etni.list@xxxxxxxxx, 'Etni' <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2012 06:57:37 +0200

Hi Bari and everyone,
I also teach and live in the south (Ashdod) and am also very stressed about
finishing the log with my 5 pointers... { I think the ministry should
consider giving us more time to hand them in if this situation continues}...

Anyhow I wanted to share with you one solution I found, although it's quite
time consuming.
Tuesday evening when the end wasn't clear yet I asked my students to help me
find a way so I can hold a video/audio lesson with the whole class.
We couldn’t find a site that enables to do that (unless you pay money for it
which again I think the government should allow us to do for free!!!) but we
did find Google + that has a new application called hangout.
All you have to  do is tell your students (which I did through our facebook
group page) to open a google account and join Google+
The only downside to this is that you can only have 10 people at the same
time in one "hangout" room so I invited them to 4 different half hour
sessions the following day and it worked like magic.
We started the short story "Rules of the Game" and although I had to do the
same lesson 4 times it was so much fun and the kids really enjoyed it.
We managed to do the pre-reading and even read the first part of the story.
I tell them ahead of time that they have to close their microphones and that
only I do the talking and everyone that wants to say something has to "raise
his hand" in the chat section and show that he wants to give an answer and
then I allow one student to open his microphone and he gives an answer or
asks a question that everyone hears.
If you set out the rules very clearly and they understand that they can't
mess around it works very well. Strict discipline is a must in such lessons.

You can also write things on the screen and share it with everyone in the
room so it works like  a blackboard and then I ask them to copy whatever I
wrote...

So, although this is not the ideal software, it did the job and I managed to
progress somehow.
Today again we are at home and I plan to invite them to another session
later today.
And the best part is that it helped time go by instead of just gazing at the
tv waiting for something to happen...

Kobi Lavy
Mekif Daled
Ashdod

From: Bari Nirenberg <bnirenberg@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Learning in the south

I was able to teach, but quite a few of my students didn't show up.
I'm trying to finish up logs with one of my classes, but it's difficult when
school keeps getting canceled. I'm running out of time...

Bari