[etni] Fwd: re: Is anyone studying NLP - Neuro Linguistic Programming?

  • From: ETNI list <etni.list@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Etni <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2011 10:13:59 +0300

From: Brenda Liptz <brenli58@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Is anyone studying NLP - Neuro Linguistic Programming?

Hi Judi,
 I first learned about NLP from some teacher educators from Pilgrims in
Canterbury, England, who came to give workshops here many years ago. I then
took a course on NLP because I loved the combination of simplicity and
obviousness, together with the incredible sophistication, of the use of
sensory styles,
 I tell learners (of all ages) about visual, auditory or kinesthetic
preference and have them answer a checklist about their own sensory
preference.  Many people love this "know yourself" activity.  I also use
the eye-movement test with a set of non-sensory specific questions to
"diagnose" someone's preferred mode. (This also makes an interesting party
trick, though I don't do these...)

With pupils, individually or as a class,I've used it, for example when I
tell pupils how to learn spelling - I ask how they usually learn words (do
they see them? write them, hear them? use colors or shapes or even scented
pens to write the words?) and then either encourage them to use a different
modality or to match the modality to intake and output - how are you going
to be tested? in writing? then practice visually and kinesthetically as much
as possible. Orally - then hear and say often.

I've also used this sensory awareness with pupils having difficulty with
reading comprehension - make a video-clip of the topic and see it, hear it,
feel it in your body.

Of course, you can use guided imagery fo relaxation when they come in to
your lesson exhausted and unfocused after a math test.

Hope this helps - I'd be interested in what you're doing with it.
best
Brenda Liptz