[etni] Fwd: re: Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde: Changing Personality in a Second Language

  • From: ETNI list <etni.list@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Etni <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2012 07:37:13 +0300

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: laurie ornstein <laurenmadeline@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde: Changing Personality in a Second Language

A summery good day to all,

I can only speak for myself but I honestly feel I'm two different
people when I switch from Hebrew to English and back. The "Israeli
side" of me comes out stronger in Hebrew and sometimes I wish the
"American side" were stronger. I won't say there's no over-flow from
my "Hebrew side" when I do speak English, but there's a definite
difference.

So yes, I've got a split personality and wondering where it'll take me
on my upcoming trip back to the States. My roots are divided, too.

By the way, when we learned Spanish in Lincoln High School, Yonkers,
NY, we took Spanish names. Mine was Lorena!

Laurie

** post to list - etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx