[etni] Fwd: cheating

  • From: ETNI list <etni.list@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Etni <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 10:40:27 +0200

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Esther Revivo <estherrevivo@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: 19 February 2012 23:02
Subject: cheating
To: etni organization <ask@xxxxxxxx>

Bravo to Laurie for a superb post! I too will continue to "tilt at
windmills." And Ilana, I also found writing on the thighs!  And we all
remember the frustrated pupil who would angrily throw a crumpled page
to the floor... including answers which another pupils was to have
picked up had we not intervened.

I did my M.A. through Latvia University (of the notorious cheating
scandal) because it was convenient. Having 5 kids still at home, I
could hear the lectures here in Netivot and (the clincher,) write all
my papers and my thesis in English, instead of Hebrew. We were 45 or
so teachers and all worked our guts out teaching full time while
studying. It was galling to have friends who'd not yet had their
degree finalized kept on a limb for several years until the entire
affair was thoroughly examined when our group had shed blood, sweat
and tears, (not to mention money,) for their degrees without any hanky
panky. (Isn't that a lovely old phrase??)

My pupils know that I am very flexible when it comes to receiving
additional unseens/ compositions to help raise low grades, but I've
zero tolerance for cheating. I've found that part of cheating is from
pressure. If we explain not only what is on an upcoming exam, but the
exact format of the questions, pupils are calmer and some who might
have copied will not. I am not naive, but believe we can help deter
some cheating by eliminating a bit of the pressure. Of course, if I
had 40 pupils in each class as do some of you ETNIers, I would
probably not be able to check extra work as I do now. The above will
not help if, as very often, the pressure is from parents demanding
high grades.... or else.

If we don't take a stand on cheating, we might as well leave the
field. Teaching is about education (and not simply Meitzav and Bagrut
scores) which begins with values. Theoretically parents should lay
down a framework against cheating through discussion and example.
(i.e. not trying to sell things without paying taxes; etc.) But we
should do our part as well. In the end, we don't just need the
paycheck; we need to be able to look at ourselves in the mirror every
day and sleep nights with a clear conscience.

All the Best-
Esther Revivo

P.S. I'm still looking for a site from where I can download the A/B
modules to an MP for LD pupils if anyone has an idea....