[etni] Fwd: Re: heterogeneous classes

  • From: ETNI list <etni.list@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Etni <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2013 11:22:05 +0300

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Jenifer Byk <byk@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: heterogeneous classes

Miriam,

Let me get back to you on your request.  I have often been in the same
position, and certainly have ideas that work.

First of all, don't try to cram four years into one.  Start at the
beginning and build up their skills.  They will be able to go faster
in 6th grade than they were able to in earlier grades, simply because
they are older and have better language skills in Hebrew/Arabic.  The
important thing is to make sure they understand the basics.  Go slowly
until they do.  They will pick up speed later, if they  have a solid
foundation.

DON'T use any of those books for weak students, which often skip the basics.

If they don't know how to read, teach them with a book called Sound
Reading. It may look childish at first glance, but is not, in fact.  I
have used it successfully with adults.

Start the grammar with something like Grammar Helper 1, but make sure
they know all the vocabulary as well.

Where I have to get back to you is what to use as a reader with
questions. I often end up making up my own material, but this is
really too much to ask of overworked teachers.  But the idea is to
keep the vocabulary to a manageable level, and constantly reuse it.  I
get the kids to translate, so as not to let any vocabulary item
escape.

I'll get back to  you.  I have to continue preparing lessons.

Jennifer

Miriam wrote:
> Jennifer,
I agree that students will have a wide range of grades and achievements in
English already in second grade. However, if they start in first grade and
start to fall behind in second, at least it's early enough to catch and
correct. They can catch up by the fifth grade meitzav.
I have had a different problem to deal with. In my sector, the preferred
grade for *starting* English in 5th grade. If they can't keep up from the
very beginning, forget about trying more than a 3 point Bagrut. Last year,
I taught 7th and 8th grade classes who had both started learning English
after Pesach of 5th grade...so essentially 6th grade. I can tell you,
trying to cram four years worth of material in one year into adolescents
with shaky self-confidence in a difficult language was pure torture. I'm
not currently teaching in that school but may in the future. Any
suggestions for how to pull the students through such a situation with
their self-esteem intact and some decent English skills?
** ETNI Blog and Poll
   http://ask-etni.blogspot.co.il/
** Etni homepage - http://www.etni.org
** post to ETNI List - etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx