[etni] Fwd: Re: Karen's posting

  • From: ETNI list <etni.list@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Etni <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2012 12:40:12 +0200

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Marlene <marlenegay@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Karen's posting

I remember my first-year-teaching having a girl in my 10th grade
class, pretty saucy troublemaker. Her grades were very weak, but she
seemed a bright girl. I was lucky to have her for a private tutorial.
She told me how she hated English and threw her boyfriend out when he
brought over English tapes (she only liked Mizrachi music). I taught
her the rules for phonics in English. I know English is not a phonetic
language, but there are basic rules. Once she grasped this - it was an
awakening - she could read! I understand this is the method used for
teaching dyslectics.
Re: the copula in the present (am, is, are) - I call it the equal
sign. In the progressive there's a Hebrew rhyme: ing blee: was, were,
am, is are - lo shaveh shoom davar.
Marlene