[etni] Fwd: RE: 'kids' in the Module G essay.

  • From: ETNI list <etni.list@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Etni <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 May 2014 09:21:33 +0300

From: phyllis oded <phylliso@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: 'kids' in the Module G essay.

Yes, KIDS are baby goats.
1. Long, long ago in the 1950s, [before television existed in almost every
American household,]  a man named Art Linkletter, who had a wonderful radio
program, coined the phrase 'kids'. The name of his program was 'Kids say the
darndest things!' Loved it.
2. When my 45 year old son was in the 9th. grade, his class read a story
about some Bedouins who had successfully crossed a desert and gave thanks by
'killing some kids and eating them.' Well, his Israeli English teacher, in
shock, told the class it was a misprint/mistake/whatever. My native speaking
son told me he had raised his hand and had told his teacher that 'kids' was
an American slang word for 'children'. She didn't agree. In the break she
came down to the teachers' room [I taught at the same school] and, all
flustered, talked about this 'typo' and I then  proceeded to 'enlighten'
her.She calmed down, my son later told me, went back to class and explained
the 'double meaning' of this word.
Yes, it IS slang, but not a word our students would be unlikely to know. As
for its use being 'suitable' for a bagrut exam, THAT is another matter! In
fact, ask high schooler today, like my granddaughter who is in the 8th.
grade, the meaning of KIDS and she will tell you "children'. She didn't
know, however, that it 'also' means/meant BABY GOATS.
Phyllis Oded

Sara wrote:
> Is anyone else bothered with the fact that the G writing used the word
> "kids"? I teach my students that that is slang (or informal) and should
> only be used in dialogue,or among their friends, and not in formal
> (bagrut)
> writing. If the assignment had been that a teen magazine wanted them to
> write about this - maybe. But not at all like it was stated. Official MOE
> tests should be of a  higher (little more formal) standard.
> Comments, anyone?
** ETNI Blog and Poll
   http://ask-etni.blogspot.co.il/
** Etni homepage - http://www.etni.org